Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Thoughts for today

Rainy day today in the Pacific Northwest. Cold and windy. March is going out like a lion.
Work was super busy today. Lots of client drama and trauma. So much of today I felt so ill-equipped....we had a client threatening suicide, another one who is 140 lbs overweight and needs knee surgery but it won't be authorized unless he loses weight...he is in pain and depressed and calls all the time time, very challenging individual to deal with. Sometimes I really think God has placed me in a job that is so so very hard and so what I do not want to do. Many times I just want to run away. I envy people who LOVE their work, I do like many aspects of my job, but sometimes dealing with the actual clients is so challenging and I just don't think I can or want to do it anymore after almost 30 years of it!
Our newly formed church knitting group met for our second meeting at my house last week. We had eight people, all women, one man! Half of us knit or want to learn knitting, the other half are crocheting. Our group goal is for each person to knit or crochet two baby hats by June to donate to the either one of the local hospitals or to New Beginnings, which is a local home through Youth With A Mission who help single pregnant young women with shelter, food, studying God's word, and helping them decide options in either keeping their babies or possible adoption. The group is a lot of fun so far...our token man is married and brought his wife last week...they are Asian and a very sweet couple, probably in their late 20's and the wife is pregnant and due in October. The husband works as a pharmacist in a local hospital. He wanted to learn to knit to make some beanies for himself and also make a few baby hats and items. He is finding it really relaxing and after two lessons is really catching on and knitting well. His wife wanted to learn to crochet and is doing well with learning that last week too.
I also have a friend from high school who I have reconnected with who lives a few blocks away who I have been knitting with every few weeks or so, taking turns going over to each other's homes for a few hours after work. She's coming over tomorrow night. I am presently working on an antique white baby blanket for a co-worker who is pregnant and also baby caps and a shawl called a 'gratitude shawl'. I also have a mint green baby blanket I started a few months ago I am working on. It is normal for me to have at least 3 or 4 knitting projects in the works!
I saw an orthopedic surgeon a few weeks ago for my first opinion about my hips. He said that at some point he predicts the Celebrex I am taking won't help as much and I will lose more range of motion and will need hip replacement surgeries done. He said it's genetic (my maternal grandmother had hip replacements but not till she was almost 80). He said he wouldn't do them at the same time. My primary care doctor feels I can make it for awhile functioning as I am before needing surgery. Walking and stretching will help. But I am struggling because walking hurts (muscles in my groin and butt from the arthritis in my hip joints pull and radiate pain) and stretching hurts. But I need to push past the hurt, to a point, as I know trying to keep limber and flexible is crucial. It's a choice I make daily, to walk or not, to stretch or not. I am going to see another ortho surgeon in a few weeks just to get a second opinion which I have been advised to do. I am thankful I have a good healthcare plan through my husband's work to be able to get these opinions, medication, etc. I am also praying too and asking the Lord to heal me. I have been looking up a lot of scriptures in the Bible on healing and bones...there's a lot in there about the bones...refreshing the bones, dry bones, moistening the bones, etc.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Thanks for commenting on the blog. And YES, the blanket in that picture was the one from you. We LOVE it and use it for Calla all the time. It is so beautiful and snuggly. Thank you so much for sending it. Ian just designed a "thank you" postcard with a picture of Calla we are getting printed this week. We are a bit behind on thank yous with all that is going on, but I will send you a formal thank you once they are printed. It was so sweet of you to send such a beautiful gift to Calla! We were blessed by it.