Wednesday, June 16, 2010

just remember it's a grand illusion!







I am listening to "Best of Foreigner" right now at work in my office. Having already listened to "Best of Styx" double CD today as well as REO Speedwagon and Billy Idol. Work is crazy today and I am feeling like a chicken with its head cut off. Some music from my teens and twenties sounded good. A friend of mine in Missouri sent me lots of burned CDs of 70's and 80's music a few weeks ago. Tom Petty. The Cars. David Bowie. All stuff I used to listen to a lot. When I was in my teens and early 20's, I was the album queen. I babysat a lot and bought record albums and clothes with my money. I probably owned 300 albums at least, at $4 a pop. I still have all the Beatles and most of the Rolling Stones and lots of others, probably 80 altogether. No working turntable though. The music takes me back. I dated a guy in high school, Glen, who played guitar in a local rock band, and they did Aerosmith and Lynyrd Skynyrd and the Eagles. I have always been drawn to the rock and roll guitar players. Could care less about the drummers or keyboard players or the bass players, although all are necessary in a band. Give me the lead guitarist, was my motto!
Now we've all grown up and the long-haired cute boys of my past are 50 something and 60 with no hair and tummies. And I no longer have long shiny hair and am as skinny as a rail in my blue jeans and shiny satin top! I looked at a picture of Pete Haycock, who was the guitarist with Climax Blues Band around the time I saw him in concert. And I looked at a current picture of him. And saw that he's not the same, we're not the same, except the music kind of remains the same, in taking you back in time in your mind.


(above pic me age 19 with Greg Rollie from Journey after a concert in Seattle) also Pete Haycock

No comments: