"A soft answer turns away wrath" Proverbs 15:1
I am reading a lot in Proverbs the past few days...I love the book of Proverbs anyway, and try to stay in it a lot to keep my mind filled with the wisdom and common sense that book contains. I often try to read a chapter a day, depending on the date, so today's reading would be in Proverbs 19. There's always so many good nuggets in any of the chapters. I love Proverbs 15 through a lot, and this proverb about answering softly when someone is raging towards you has helped me out more times than I can remember, if I just apply it in the given situation. It has de-esculated a raging client on the phone, if I answer softly and carefully instead of back in like-kind. Or if a family member or friend has been upset, I've noticed if I respond softly and gently it seems more times than not to calm them down. Another proverb I love is Proverbs 15:28 one about "the heart of the righteous man studies or ponders how to answer, but the mouth of the wicked pours out evil things." I read that one this weekend and I have been thinking about it a lot over the past few days. How important it is to ponder and study before saying things rather than just gushing out with whatever comes out of the top of your head (or heart!) I have been guilty of doing that too many times. Anyway, lots of good common sense wisdom in the Proverbs, and I'll be reading chapter 19 this morning before heading off to work!
My friend over at Cindy at Letters from Midlife is hosting a giveaway for some lovely notecards so check that out! And don't forget my scarf giveway, just leave me a comment today or tomorrow and I'll choose a winner by writing down the names, throwing them in a bowl, and having my husband choose on Friday morning. The picture of the scarf color is in the post from yesterday!
A Pleasant Surprise!
6 years ago
3 comments:
It's interesting how much scripture addresses our words, how we say things, what we say, etc. My personal favorite is Proverbs 21:23 which basically says "keep your mouth shut and stay out of trouble." lol! For people like me that is sound advice.
I love that scripture! You reminded me to be gentle with those around me. What great timing, I am having a terrible time with someone in my family who stirs up trouble and my reaction is to blast them. I need to respond with kindness and gentleness and see what the Lord will do. Thank you for a wonderful post.
Kelly, so nice to meet you! I need to brush up on my Proverbs. They are doing it in CBS this year, but I didn't sign up! I could use a dose of "gentleness" in me. I love to meet bloggers of a certain age, and I hope we can stay in touch. I couldn't link to your email, though. I tried.
Post a Comment