Thursday, February 18, 2010

Giving something up for Lent


I've only ever seriously given anything up for the Lent season one time...a few years ago I gave up chips/Cheetoes and candy. I made it through the whole time without caving in once. I am not Catholic but I like the idea of giving up something/fasting something that I usually want to have or do. One of my bosses told me yesterday he is giving up Facebook for Lent. I talked to a co-worker this morning, and she and I decided to give up unneccessary shopping for Lent....meaning clothes, books, costume jewelry, makeup, skin-care items, greeting cards, CD's, DVD's....all the stuff we are drawn to....and for me, that would include yarn also. It is going to be a challenge because already this morning after we agreed to do this, one of my other bosses came by to tell us that Macy's has a 80% off sale going on right now on winter clothes/suits for work, etc....and my friend and I both looked at each other like "help!!". This is good though. I seriously have enough of all of the things listed above to last me until Easter. I cannot think of one thing that I will 'need' to buy. This is going to be a good lesson for me in self-control and using and enjoying what I already have.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

Giving up Facebook would be good for me. I don't particularly like it but I'm still drawn to it. I usually don't do Lent though so I'll have to decide if I'm doing it for the right reasons and not just because it's that time of year.

Good luck with your "fast" from shopping. Focus on the Lord as your provider during this time.

Kelly said...

Definitely...I am looking forward to focusing on the Lord as my provider instead of providing for myself! I was just listening at lunch to Crown Financial Ministries on the radio...and they were talking about we as Americans have so much stuff and how the storage rental business is still booming with people's stuff...it reminds me about tearing down old barns to build new ones to store stuff...so much of it we really don't need, as you are blogging about recently too!

Rebecca said...

May have "found" you via Cindy's blog. Interestingly, I too have recently come to a Lenten practice (my focus is the Lord Jesus) but I prayed about a practice to enhance or assist my focus in these days. I was 3 days late beginning so may have to extend beyond the normal Lenten (or just not be legalistic about it & just reveling in the love of God).

May you prosper in body, soul and spirit in your determination to express your commitment in the next weeks.