I went out to dinner last night with my best friend Tami from grade school/junior high. We've been in touch off and on through the years, but more so over the past four years. We had delicious shrimp salads at the Nordstrom cafe after work and spent a great time catching up. There's really nothing like an old dear friend who knew you when you were 9 years old, we have some great memories and we still connect and laugh so well. She's a strong Christian too, which is wonderful...she gave me some good perspective on some extended family matters that have been difficult lately.
I received word from my doctor a few weeks ago that after having x-rays taken, I have advanced oesteo-arthritis in both of my hips! I knew over the last year or more the stiffness and pain I've been feeling at the top of my legs/pelvic area and loss of range of motion probably was arthritis, since I have some in my back and know what it feels like...a deep dull ache. But I have been taking Celebrex for awhile for my back and it helps with the pain. I wanted to get checked out for my hips though, since I've been having more problems with stiffness, putting on socks/shoes, etc. The right hip x-ray shows advanced arthritis with possible neurcrosis which could mean some bone area is dead or dying at the hip bone. The left hip showed advanced arthritis too, nothing mentioned though about the neucrosis. I see an orthopedic surgeon in early March. I am trying to keep my peace and not worry about whether or not I will be told I need hip replacement surgeries...but my family doctor just told me he thinks I will need it at some point at least for my right hip. Inside I feel "not fair, I am only 51!!) and I am kind of mad at myself for not exercising more throughout my life, thinking maybe if I hadn't been so sporadic about exercising I'd be in better shape or wouldn't have ended up with arthritis. I have been reading a lot about arthritis in hips though over the last few weeks, and there's all kinds of reasons you can get it. I started walking again at the mall before work on Monday with two co-workers a half an hour before work, we are going to walk Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays and then eventually try to work more time in. I am pretty stiff when I start but walking does help loosen up my hip joints. I have been reading a lot about diet too and foods that affect arthritis positively and negatively. Red meat is bad, as is sugar which just fuels the inflammation. Fish is good as are berries, most fruits except oranges, and vegetables.
On top of the arthritis diagnosis, I found out my cholestrol is too high. My doctor has given me three months to try to bring it down with diet and exercise before having to go on medication, which I don't want to do. I have been avoiding cheese (which I love :-( ) and fast foods and fried foods and white flour/sugar products. Lots of salads, fish, oatmeal, heart healthy Kashi cereal, vegetables, apples. I've been really watching it for a week now, and I have so say my jeans feel looser already and I am sure the walking will help too. I figure if I can take off 15 lbs in 3 months, that will put me really close to my normal weight and it should also help my hip joints. I read that every extra pound is like 3 to 5 lbs of extra pressure on your joints.
I am sorry that it has taken a couple of serious health issues to make me wake up and pay attention to my lack of consistent exercise and not so great eating habits (hence the high cholestrol) but I am determined to succeed at feeling better with the arthritis with diet and exercise and lowering the cholestrol with that too. I don't know what the ortho surgeon will say. I have seen him before for a broken arm 13 years ago, and a stress fracture in my left ankle. I have oesteoporosis that was diagnosed 10 years ago, but it has been getting better with medication and calcium, etc. It may have something to do with the hip arthritis I don't know.
No comments:
Post a Comment