Thursday, July 31, 2008

No Buy Month!

Today starts a 30 day, "No Buy" month for me. What this will include will be: books (except for buying a copy of "The Shack" at Borders tomorrow with a 30% off coupon I have....the wait for it at the library is 27 people ahead of me, and I've heard so much about this book I really want to read it.)magazines, cosmetics, greeting cards, stickers, candles, bath products (lotions, shower gels, etc.) which are my default items of small things I buy often. I want to see if I can actually go a whole month without buying any of these things. I get several magazine subscriptions so no need to buy any more. I don't need any more books, I have several I need to read, plus the library is there. I just feel like I have been wasteful in spending this summer on some of these things that I really don't need and they just add to the clutter. Clutter under my bathroom cabinent with too many half-used lotion bottles, etc. I think the breaker for me was going to the Estee Lauder counter at Macy's a few days ago, intending to only pick up a sample of perfume from a card I got in the mail, and then I ended up buying three eyeshadows (two new shades) at $17 a pop. Yes, they have nice shadows and they don't crease and stay on all day. But that was a lot of money I didn't need to spend. Contract renewal is coming up for my husband's machinists union at Boeing in September and if they go on strike I will really be pinching pennies. So, I am starting now. I am also bringing my lunch to work every day as well. I really want to buckle down and pay attention to spending, a lot I think gets wasted on little things and I need to be more mindful.

2 comments:

Cindy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cindy said...

I need to do this too Kelly. I find if I just give myself some time before giving in to the compulsion to buy something, I end up not wanting it as badly as I thought after all. Good luck with this! (p.s., I deleted the original comment I made because of some typos but it wouldn't let me edit it...)