Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Beatles and tv memories


I am trying to get more of my photographs on my computer, and just came across this one from my trip to England in 2000. My cousin and I went to Madame Tussauds Wax Museum in London and she took my picture with the Beatles!!


I remember hearing on the news earlier this month that it's been 45 years since the Beatles appeared for the first time on Ed Sullivan. I vaguely remember seeing them, in black and white of course, on the tv, I would have been almost six years old. Even though I was that young, I remember that something seemed very exciting about the Beatles, watching them perform. A few years ago, my mom and stepdad gave me the Ed Sullivan DVD shows that had all the Beatles' performances from 1964 through I think 1966 or 67. I haven't watched it for awhile, but should get it out. I still think it's electrifying to see them perform "She Loves You" and "I Want to Hold Your Hand". They were a huge huge deal!
If I think about it, I can remember snippets of tv when I was very young, all in black and white, like seeing President Kennedy's funeral, watching Captain Kangaroo and Bullwinkle and other cartoons. I don't really remember too many tv shows when I was under 6, except for the music of the Twilight Zone. I can remember hearing that after I'd been put to bed, and feeling kind of scared. When I was a little older, of course I remember watching Batman, the Monkees, Dark Shadows (after school!) , Laugh-In, My Mother the Car, Gilligan's Island and the Mod Squad.
Some of those shows I've seen in later years on re-runs and they seem rather dated now of course, but at the time, they were really cool!




3 comments:

Gina said...

Thanks for the walk down memory lane. I loved all those old shows. My son will love the picture of you at the museum, he is a Beatles nut!

Cindy said...

I guess that ages me too! lol! We have a station locally that shows reruns of the old t.v. shows including Matlock and Hawaii Five-O.

Little Gray Pixel said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog -- and thanks for sharing your memories of The Beatles. They're my absolute favorite.