Saturday, March 28, 2009

Knitter's elbow, grey and rainy weather and life in general!


Well, my mad pace of knitting caps has done me in, I've got a really sore elbow (inner, like a tennis elbow) and I looked up on google and they actually have a term for knitters who overdo called "knitters elbow". So I got an Ace elbow flexible brace at Walgreens this week, and that seems to help, plus taking iboprofen. I cannot imagine ever giving up knitting, so I need to let it heal . It's sore in the inner elbow, the tendons or muscles there. I read if I prop my arm up under some pillows when knitting too that might help.


It's cold, wet, rainy and soggy here and has been all week. Spring is really slow in coming this year. The whole month of March has been just rain and grey. I think we've had two days this year 60 degrees or higher and that's it. It isn't inspiring to want to do much, inside or out. But today's project is going to be cleaning out an extra bedroom upstairs and moving the double bed downstairs to the basement. Tim and I have been talking about getting a treadmill and putting it upstairs and making that room a 'workout' room by getting a little tv to put in there too. He has some weights he wants to put in there as well. So I need to move a lot of stuff I have in there (I am not sure where I am going to move it to!) but it's a good time to sort and weed out I guess.


We had to take Tank to vet yesterday, he has some blister-looking things on his lip and chin, so he has to take antiobiotics, steriods and some shampoo stuff daily for awhile. I need to get them some big stainless steel bowls for their food rather than plastic ones, the vet says. So I will do that today. I guess it's some kind of infection he has so this should clear it up. Anna is okay and doesn't have it.


I have something fun I am going to do starting tomorrow. I am going to go into our kids church for the 4 and 5 year olds and read a few stories to them during part of their church time. I took some coloring pages and some boxed birthday cards for kids in to the young woman who runs the kids church, Malia. She is about 26 and a real sweetheart. We were talking, and she said "if you would ever love to come in and hang out or do crafts with us, it would be fun, I can tell you really enjoy little kids"...I said what I really like is to read outloud to them, so she said "Oh, you could be the Storybook Lady!" and what we've worked out is I am going to every few weeks and dress up a little like a princess (I have a tiara and a feather boa I can use!!) and then come in and read a few stories outloud....I have "Never Tease A Weasel" as my first one tomorrow...I read that to my stepkids and older granddaughters when they were all little and they loved it. I think it will be fun. I haven't really been doing much volunteer-wise at church for awhile, except the ladies small group I host every two weeks, and there's about 3 to 4 of us regularly in that. That has been fine. But I don't get to see all the grandkids a lot on a regular basis, so this will be a fun time to spend with an age group I really enjoy, the 4 to 5's. I will have to have a picture taken so I can post!

2 comments:

Gina said...

I am sorry you and Tank are not feeling well. :( Even though it's hard, you are doing the right thing by resting that elbow. It sounds like you are really excited to be the Storybook Lady, did you ever see the Storybook Lady movie? It has Jessica Tandy as the woman who reads stories to children. My son loves watching it. I look forward to seeing pictures.

Kelly said...

Hi Gina!
No, I haven't seen the Storybook Lady movie, I should try to find that! I am looking forward to being the Storybook Lady at church, it will be really fun! I know you are right about resting my elbow...and I am doing that...but I have about three or four projects I am in the middle of and it's my 'calming time' when I knit, so I am missing it!