Thursday, March 12, 2009

My Grandma Phyllis





This is my paternal grandmother, Phyllis. She died at age 45 when I was almost 2 years old, in 1959. These are pictures of her before she became ill with rheumatoid arthritis in her mid 30's. I don't remember her at all. I wish I did, because I think I look a lot like her. One thing my dad told me about her was that she did loved clothes and accessories! She owned her own beauty shop, sold Merle Norman cosmetics, was the first woman president of the Saddle Club in Cut Bank, Montana, loved to ride horses, and paint with oil colors. My mother said she had strong opinions. If Phyllis didn't like you, that was it. But to those she loved, she was generous to a fault. When I was born, I was the first grandchild on my dad's side. Apparently, my grandma Phyllis bought me so many toys and clothes and things like rocking horses and high chairs and bath tubs that my parents had to tell her to stop because their tiny house had no more room. She's a mystery to me. She's one person I really wish I would have been able to know. Once, I saw a picture of her wearing a red skirt suit with leopard faux fur trim on the collar and cuffs and buttons of the jacket. My kind of suit! I actually have one of her half-slips. It's a Vanity Fair brand, I believe, a mocha colored slip with brown lace overlay. Beautiful. And, I have one of her purses. I'll have to take a picture. It's gorgeous. Black and wine-colored velvet, a doctor's bag type purse. In perfect condition. I've used it a few times, but not often, as it's so pretty. I should use it more, especially in the winter. I have already lived five years longer than my grandma Phyllis. I think about her now and then, the grandma I never knew.

There's a few pictures of me with her. This is one of them. You can see how she changed when she got sick with the RA. My dad said she was on different medications that would make her bloated, maybe steriod type medications. She had trouble putting on her nylons and clothes because her joints hurt so much. I think about how difficult that must have been. Now, in 2009, there are probably a lot of medications that would be of more help to her living a more comfortable life. But 50 years ago or so, not so much.
















3 comments:

Gina said...

Kelly, she does look like you. It seems like you took after her in so many ways. I loved looking at the pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Cindy said...

This was sweet. I was very close to my grandma. It sound like you not only look like her but take after her with your love of fashion and accessories!

StitchinByTheLake said...

You're lucky to have those pictures of your grandmother Kelly. I have only a few of my grandparents and they are a treasure to me! blessings, marlene