Friday, September 19, 2008

Grateful for the little things

As the second week of the strike is wrapping up, I wanted to take note of some little things I am grateful for that happened this week.

l. We got a coupon in the mail for a Papa John's large pizza, any two toppings you want, for free. Mind you, we never get coupons for free pizzas in the mail. $2.00 off coupons, yes. But free, no. Of course we used it last night..Canadian bacon and pineapple, thank you.

2. I am grateful for a Cup of Noodles chicken I had stashed in my office at work because it and a banana was my lunch today. I never thought I'd be really grateful for a Cup of Noodles, but it tastes really good. I have of course stopped buying lunch out and have been brown-bagging it to work, which I normally do anyway, save for maybe one day a week at Arby's or the next door Thai place.

3. Payday was Tuesday at work, and after lunch that day a sweet co-worker left me a little gift basket on my desk from World Market....a little pack of Irish tea bags, two fancy chocolates, rose-scented bath fizzies and a little blue candle. And a nice card, saying she hoped I felt better (my back and joints have really been bothering me more this week).

4. I went to the pharmacy at lunch today to get my three regular prescriptions filled. If the strike isn't resolved by the end of the month, we don't have current health insurance through Boeing and they of course won't pay for prescriptions. One of mine wasn't due for renewal yet, but the lady at the pharmacy who knows Tim and me was kind enough to put it through early, so I have a 90 day supply, plus still more at home.

5. We have lots of good ripe Early Girl tomatoes Tim planted this year. Delicious! I took some into work to share.

6. We didn't go to the Western Washington fair this year, but my boss brought in scones from it (and scones are one of my favorite treats from the fair!)

7. My boss also just loaned me Season Four of the Office today, so I can catch up on that before the new season starts next Thursday.

8. Another co-worker brought me some sample eye drops from her eye exam visit this week. This is interesting, because although she knows I use eye drops a few times a day (I had lasik surgery eight years ago and since then my eyes are drier than they used to be) I hadn't mentioned needing drops or anything. She just saw the samples (Bausch & Lomb) and there was one that is brand-new so you can put a drop in each eye and it lasts for 8 hours...she thought that looked good so she asked for some for me!

9. We started up our Bible study at work again this past Thursday after having the summer off. There are four or five of us who meet Thursdays at lunch in our conference room at work (one is one of my bosses, and I am the group leader!) We've been doing this for about four or five years now, and study different topics. We are starting a Women of Faith Bible study on contentment this time around. I think it will be good, it's a subject I've always be drawn to.

I know there's more, but it's back to work for now.

3 comments:

StitchinByTheLake said...

God is so good - He sends us blessings all the time if we just notice them. And He even used some of your coworkers to deliver them! blessings, marlene

Cindy said...

Keep looking for those little grace notes as you go through this trying time. It's kind of like a God version of "I Spy" - looking for the little ways God is revealing Himself and saying He loves you and is with you.

Gina said...

I love that you wrote about your blessings. It keeps us focused on the love of God instead of the negative in our lives. It is so funny you wrote what you did, I was thinking yesterday of writing a gratitude journal. The first thing on the list is: I am grateful for wonderful blogs like yours to remind me to look for the blessings in my life!!