Thursday, September 11, 2008

Jay and the Americans trivia

Last night I was looking at some old music videos on You Tube, like Shindig, and came across the two Jay and the American videos I put on the blog. I have always loved these two particular songs. In reading a little more about the group, I found out there were three "Jays" who were the lead singer for Jay and the Americans. The first Jay was really named Jay, and he left the group before they really got going, in the early 60's. Then they found David Blatt, who turned into "Jay" Black and he was the singer everyone remembers on the hits like "This Magic Moment" and "Walking in the Rain" and "Cara Mia". Awesome voice. Now the second "Jay", Jay Black, ran into some problems later in life with gambling debts and he had to sell the name of Jay and the Americans in his bankruptcy proceedings. So a former, original member named Sandy bought the name rights for $100,000 or so. And then he, with at least one other former member, found new Jay, who sounds remarkably like the second Jay. I'll post a Today video about that, it's a pretty cool story. And they are still performing, as Jay and the Americans. And Jay Black is still performing, under Jay Black. He will be 70 in November and has a show somewhere on the east coast that night.
A little bit of trivia.
I was a kid in the 60's, so I remember Jay and the Americans, and really loved their songs.

3 comments:

Vickie said...

Hi Kelly, thanks for stopping by my blog and your comments of encouragement.
Some interesting trivia there about the 'Jays':)
I was born in the 60's too, June. Were you born in June also? I see you have a Gemini sign.

Blessings,
Vickie

Kelly said...

Hi Vickie,
I was actually born in 1958 so just turned 50 on June 6th...what is your birthdate in June? Sounds like we are pretty close maybe in age/birthdates!
Blessings,
Kelly

Vickie said...

Hi Kelly I was born in 1962 on June 20th, not too far :)


Vickie