I just read Van Walton's blog this morning (http://www.vanwalton.blogspot.com/) and was convicted in a very good way.
I know I need to buckle down and save more money, pay off cc's and live debt free. It does seem like things come down the pike, like Tim's truck repairs these last few years amounting in several thousand dollars...and the dogs lately have run up some expenses for shots and illnesses and medications. But I know I have clothes in my closet I don't wear, and things I buy I don't need or already have several of (magazines come to mind) and often times Tim and I both too tired to cook dinner so we eat out or get a pizza and that adds up. There's a part of who wants to be more frugal and I know it's right. We do tithe to our church and we do support two girls through Compassion and give to a Bible college student in India for his tuition and expenses among other things. So that part is okay but I am feeling convinction about the way I spend money on frivilous things sometimes. The one good thing is between gift cards from my birthday and just saving cash for the last year, I have saved up for the Nordstrom Anniversary sale in July, where I can get some pants and sweaters and new shoes for fall. Maybe a new coat later. So I won't be charging that. But I do need to pay off two charge cards and not use them anymore.
I am going to think of some more frugal ideas. I have the book "The Tightwad Gazette" and a few others like that...I need to dig them out and re-read them. I do want to be a good steward with what God has given us. Plus a goal to pay things off and save up for things we need or when emergencies happen. Also to have some money to bless others. Van's challenge was to save $1000 in the next year to use in a discretionary way....I know just by not eating lunch out at work twice a week would save $20 a week right there. So I am up for it. I am starting today. And I am going to think about what I want to use it for. I think some of it I would like to send to Compassion. They have a Leadership fund for kids that graduate from the regular Compassion program and then go onto college and also to become leaders in their area through a Compassion program and mentoring set up for them. It's $300 a month to sponsor one young adult..which is a big committment, but I was thinking in lieu of that, I could send an offering to their fund. That would help someone on the list who doesn't have a sponsor. So that's an idea I have for the $1000 discretionary savings. Maybe to save up to send them $500 and then do something else with the other $500.
Good stuff to think about. I know I could wear what I have and use up things like body lotions and shower gels, etc and not need to buy any more in the next year. Books are a weakness for me too, but I have been using the library a lot more instead of buying them.
Anyway, I have a decorated coffee can that I put change into, so I am starting today by putting my 5 cents in to start out my year long savings for the $1,000.00 as Van challenged. I think the Lord will teach me a lot of things through this.
A Pleasant Surprise!
6 years ago
2 comments:
Kelly,
Thanks for stopping by my blog today! Don't you just love "Streams?" Such a powerful devotional book.
Wow, your post challenged me today. I'm looking forward to checking out vanwalton when I have a little more time.
One of the cost-saving things I started doing a few years ago (out of necessity) was shopping for clothes at local thrift stores. There are a number of really good ones around where I live. I can't tell you how many amazing finds God has provided this way. One summer, I was on the lookout for a new coat for the fall/winter season. There weren't too many to choose from, but as I flipped through the hangers, there was a London Fog with a zip out winter lining) that looked BRAND NEW with a price tag that said $5.00. I looked at the size tag...it was a 12 Petite (my size). When I took it off the hanger, I realized the belt was missing...which I assumed accounted for the deep discount in price. I tried it on anyway. I happened to slip my hand in the pocket and guess what I found?! The belt! I was giddy. When I went to the checkout, I was told anything with an orange tag was 1/2 off that day...guess what color the coat's price tag was?? Yep. I walked out with a like new London Fog trenchcoat for $2.50! (That was 3 years ago and it still looks great!) = ) God always honors our choices to be better stewards of his money!
(Sorry...didn't mean to leave such a long post!)
Blessings,
Tracy
Hi Tracy! I love "Streams", it is so rich! And I totally love your story about your London Fog coat! That reminds me of something the Lord did for me like that several years ago...I received a Nordstrom summer catalog in the mail, and there was a silver purse with a seashell clasp on it...really cute, but very expensive for just a cute purse. A month or so later, I went with a friend to an estate sale. We were rummaging through some boxes in a bedroom, and lo and behold..I pulled out a vintage silver purse, envelope-style with a chain handle AND...a silver seashell clasp!!! All for the grand total of $1.00!!! I think the Nordie's purse was $80 or more! It was a total gift and blessing from God..He does know our needs and our wants even too for blessing us. My problem is I have too many wants I can justify as needs!
Keep in touch!
Many blessings,
Kelly
Post a Comment