Friday, January 9, 2009

Fashionista/Recessionista!







I do like clothes and shopping for clothes and always have since I was earning my own money by babysitting and saving up for school clothes shopping. Working at a law office gives me a chance to dress up some in skirt and pants suits or nice pants and tops (our office is the type where you can dress up if you want or go business casual, and we can wear nice jeans to work on Fridays). Lately with all the economy woes in the news, I've been hearing about "Recessionistas" and reading different articles about women who love to shop and love clothes and accessories and beauty products and treatments but who are going low budget and doing things like "shop in your own closet".



One of my goals this year is to get my credit card debt paid off and that is a totally do-able goal if I really knuckle down do it. But the siren of shopping, be it the mall that is right near my office or be it Ebay, lures and calls to me daily. Sometimes hourly! There's always things I want. If I buy a new skirt or jacket, then I think I need new tops or accessories to go with it! But I am going to read up and study more about being a "Recessionista" and this weekend I plan to pull every item of clothes out of my closet and re-evaluate them. Is is something I wear or haven't worn for a year or more? Can I wear it with a different item than I usually do? Plus I want to get into my scarves and jewelry accessories and see what's there. I think it could be a lot of fun trying to pull 'new' outfits together with clothes and accessories I already have. I have a lot of 'wardrobe/style' books and I have read a lot about how to purge your closet and how to try things on to make new outfits....I just don't usually take the time to do it. But I think it would be a good antidote to shopping, because I really really want to get my cc debt paid off. And I have enough clothes right now at least till summer, when I do need to pick up some new capris and tees for casual and weekends. And I do really really need a pair of nude or beige dress shoes for work for spring and summer suits and dresses...my old pair is shot. But I can start saving cash for these things now. I do not want to use my credit cards for charging clothes and accessories and beauty products this year! Cash is king!



Anyway I am excited about doing some more research on being a "Recessionista!". Using what I have. I have a lot of beauty products right now, like lotions and body creams and skincare stuff, so I don't need to buy anything new for awhile there. I stocked up a few months ago at a Bath and Body Works sale. Another thing too I read about was that some women are hosting 'swap parties' with clothes and accessories they don't want anymore. That might be a fun idea too, a good way to pick up some things in trade. I have to admit I do love accessories...purses are probably my favorites, but I like scarves and jewelry too. Big vintage rhinestone pins are fun, I have a small collection, some were my grandma's!
The butterfly scarf in the picture is an Echo scarf I got on Ebay last year, the other pictures are just random ones.






5 comments:

Anonymous said...

God knew what he was doing from the very begining. He decided from the outset to shape the lives of those who love him along the same lines as the life of his Son. The Son stands first in the line of humanity restored. We see the original and intended shape of our lives in him. ROMANS 8:29 THE MESSAGE

Gina said...

Kelly, what wonderful ideas you have. And what a great way to economize without sacrificing style. I am awed by people like you, I can honestly say I am not a fashion person at all and wish I could be like you.

Imogen Lamport, AICI CIP said...

Good on you - it's a great thing to do, and even though you may not decide to go a whole year without shopping - as Jane from Work that Wardrobe has done (she's an inspiriation), by maximising what you have, you will discover the real holes in your wardrobe, which let you create a shopping list of 'needs' rather than just lots of 'wants'.

Cindy said...

I like that term...recessionista. I feel like I'm one of those on so many levels these days. I'm not as much of a fashion girl as you are but there certainly lots of temptations out there for me. I'm on a credit card fast. If I don't have the cash, I don't buy.

Marybeth Whalen said...

Kelly, I had not heard that term Recessionista before-- cute! I love the points you made here. So true! I have learned to ask myself this simple question before I buy anything: "But will it make me happy?" I have learned that the answer is always NO. It might make me happy for a brief blip of a moment, but a few minutes later my fickle heart will be on to some other "want." This was a good realization for me and one that has scaled way back on my buying habits.